Frequently Asked Questions



Top FAQs

1. How long does it take to hire foreign labor?
Answer:  We suggest you plan ahead as it generally takes about 90 days to attain an H-2A worker(s).

2. How much do we pay an H-2A farm and ranch worker?
Answer:  Employers are required to pay the highest of the Adverse Effect Wage Rate (AEWR), the prevailing hourly wage or piece rate, the agreed-upon collective bargaining wage, or the Federal or State minimum wage.

3. How long can an H-2A foreign worker stay in the U.S. legally?
Answer: Sheepherders are allowed to work consecutively up to 3 years, however the employers are required to file extensions each year, then the herders must return home for 3 months before returning to the U.S. on a work visa. All other H-2A positions are allowed to work in the U.S. up to 10 months, then they must return home for 3 months before returning to the U.S. on a work visa.

4. Are we required to provide housing for our H-2A workers?
Answer: Yes, in all cases you must provide housing at no cost to your worker(s). Your housing will need to be approved and certified by the U.S. Department of Labor.

5. How often do we have to pay our H-2A workers?
Answer:  Twice per month.

6. Do all countries qualify to issue work visas for workers to come to the U.S.?
Answer:  No, the workers must be from a country that is on the approved H-2A country list. Please contact us to find out if you know a worker who is interested to work for you in the U.S.

7. Do we have to pay overtime to an H-2A worker?
Answer: No

8. How many hours is an H-2A worker allowed to work per week?
Answer:  You are required to pay a minimum of 35 hours per week. However, Sheepherders and Open Range Livestock workers are required to be “On-Call” 24/7.

9. Are the H-2A workers required to have experience?
Answer:  Yes, they are required to have between 1-6 months experience – depending on their position. Please contact us for more information.

10. Do we have to pay for our H-2A worker(s) transportation?
Answer:  Yes, employers are required to pay for incoming and outgoing transportation.